Well, the date is fast approaching and I want to at least get people in the Davis area ready. Author/journalist/blogger Rebecca Skloot will be speaking at UC Davis about her new book “The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.” I know from personal experience, the book is simply amazing. However, don’t trust me, trust the world out there, the reviews and press she has been getting are unlike any for really any book recently including:
- Currently #8 on the NY Times Hardcover Bestseller list
- Great reviews including in the NY Times, The Globe and Mail, the New York Times again, Publisher’s Weekly, Washington Post, Boston Globe, and so on
- Much media coverage including ABC News, CBS Sunday Morning, Fresh Air, All Things Considered
- Great blog coverage including Ed Yong’s Not Exactly Rocket Science, Boing Boing, and many others
- A growing list of followers on twitter.
- An appearance on Colbert (see below)
And somewhat amazingly, she will be coming to Davis (I got her to commit to coming when I read a preprint of the book – before she became such a big shot) The details are below – I will be posting some more over the next few weeks about the book but just wanted to get the word out.
- Title: “The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (aka HeLa): The History and Ethics of Research on Human Biological Materials”
- Date: 4/23/2010
- Time: 4:00-6:00 p.m.
- Open to the public with talk plus questions plus book signing. Books will be available to purchase.
- Location: ARC Ballroom
- Sponsor: UC Davis Genome Center, Science and Technology Studies Program, University Writing Program, and Davis Humanities Institute.
- Contact: Jonathan Eisen