So – I have been talking and writing about my dream of creating a field guide to the microbes for many years. Here are some my writings and talks on the topic and also some news coverage of my work in this area. This page is meant to summarize my angle on this – not to say that I am the only person to have suggested this would be a good thing.
My papers with discussion of the idea:
My blog posts focused on this:
- 2/01/2014: The Quest for a Field Guide to the Microbes: talk at “Science in the River City“
- 3/08/2013: A day of field guides at #UCDavis and @Wired
- 3/01/2012 My obsession with a Field Guide for Microbes
- 2/21/2012: Slideshow w/ audio of my talk on “A Field Guide to the Microbes” from the AAAS Meeting #AAASMtg
- 11/06/11: Video of my talk from the Compass 2011 meeting in LA on a “Field Guide to Microbes”
- 10/25/09: A field guide to the microbes?
- Compass 2011: The Dark Matter of Biology.
- AAAS 2012: YouTube here.
- Slideshare: Jonathan Eisen talk on 1$ Genome
- My Ted talk
- Talk for Teen Biotech Challenge “All microbes all the time” – talk by Jonathan Eisen for Teen Biotech …
News stories and other’s blog posts
- Post by Larry Smarr about a talk of mine from 2012.
- Holly Menninger at Your Wild Life Is a Field Guide for Microbes in Our Future? Q & A with Microbiologist Jonathan Eisen
- Daniela Hernandez at Wired: Book of Germs: A Quest for a Field Guide to Microbes
- Microbe Magazine: Genomic Analyses Could Lead to “Field Guide to Microbes
- Microbe Magazine Audio Interview: Audio interview with Jonathan Eisen
- Wired: Birds, Poop and Roadkill: A field guide to Field Guides
- Press Release from 2005 paper of mine: Genomic Analyses Could Lead to “Field Guide to Microbes