Wow. Just discovered this site: Fecal Transplantation | Integrative Medical Group of Irvine. Not sure how long it has been out there. But this is one of the more aggressive and perhaps egregious overselling of the power of the human microbiome that I have seen. They are promoting fecal transplants at their clinic as a way to cure a diverse array of ailments from ulcerative colitis to obesity and imply they can be used for cardiovascular health, emotional status, bone health, and more. My “favorite” part:
As our understanding of the enormous importance of bowel micro-biota (bacteria) grows, the indications for fecal transplant will expand greatly and public acceptance will follow. But there is no reason for you to wait. Dr. Lee, our naturopathic doctor, is one of only a tiny handful of specialists certified in the use of fecal transplant. She can expertly manage your case.
Yes that is right. We (the royal We of course) are on the verge of showing that the microbiota does EVERYTHING and therefore, if anything ails you, just wash your troubles away with some shit from a relative. There is no reason to wait. Come in to our clinic now.
And for the misleading nature of this site, I am giving this Integrative Medical Group of Irvine my coveted “Overselling the microbiome award.” Previous winners and discussions of this issue are listed below:
- Overselling the microbiome award: MedicalDaily on Effects of Sugary Drink
- The microbiome in the news: risk of overselling but not always bad coverage
- Overselling the microbiome award: Scientists look to mummies for obesity cure
- Probiotics are the new viagra & the risks of overselling of probiotics
- Overselling the microbiome award #2: The Marshall Protocol
- Overselling the microbiome award: Stephen Barrie on pre and probiotics at the Huffington Post