A couple of recent papers on weight-loss surgery and microbes have gotten a lot of attention to the idea that obesity and microbes have a more than just coincidental connection.
Some of the news stories on the topic are below. A few of them are a bit over the top but the new work seems pretty sound so this is definitely worth a look.
- Fox: After weight-loss surgery, new gut bacteria keep obesity away
- National Post ‘Weight loss bacteria’ found in gut may play key role in fighting …
- BBC: Bacteria find ‘key to treating obesity without surgery’
- CBS: Gut bacteria may be key to weight loss
- LA Times Bacteria may provide some of gastric bypass surgery’s boost
- NY Times: Bacteria in the Intestines May Help Tip the Bathroom Scale, Studies Show
- Nature via Scientific American: Gut-Microbe Swap Helps with Weight Loss