Author Archives: Hannah Holland-Moritz

About Hannah Holland-Moritz

Hannah Holland-Moritz is a graduate student working in Noah Fierer’s lab. She graduated from UC Davis in June 2014 with a major in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and minor in Bioinformatics and most recently spend a gap year working in Jonathan Eisen’s lab on the microbiome of seagrasses. Interested in Evolution, Ecology, Bioinformatics and all things microbial, she plans to pursue a career in research.

Data, Data, Data!

It’s been a while since our last post but we finally (after many technical challenges and more than our share of bad luck) have data and are in the process of analyzing it! I’ve worked in other labs before this … Continue reading

| Tagged | 2 Comments

It’s Library Preparation Time!

Now that we have chosen our candidates we are in the process of preparing libraries for sequencing. I’ve learned a lot about this process in the past few weeks so I thought I’d share some of what I’ve learned. First, … Continue reading

| Tagged | Leave a comment

Candidate in the Spotlight: THU

A couple posts ago I introduced you to many of our potential candidates for sequencing. As it turns out, the organism that I will be sequencing is THU (more about the name here), an organism that was already in the … Continue reading

| Tagged | 2 Comments

Color Changes in TTU3

I’d thought I’d take a minute to talk about one of the first microbes we isolated that has proven to be quite interesting. The microbacterium TTU3 which was isolated from a toilet biofilm first caught our attention as a brilliantly … Continue reading

| Tagged | 2 Comments

Bacterial Candidates: A Closer Look at the Contestants

After nearly ten weeks of learning our way around the lab, collecting samples, isolating organisms and sequencing their 16s ribosomal genes we are finally at the point where we are ready to choose our first candidate organisms for whole-genome sequencing! … Continue reading

| Tagged | 7 Comments