Just got pointed to (by Elisabeth Bik) an announcement for a meeting: Home : Pharma-Nutrition 2015 with a focus on “Linking the Microbiome with Nutrition and Pharma”. And alas, the list of confirmed speakers is as follows:
- Keynote Speaker
- Martin J. Blaser, NY University Medical Center, New York, NY, USA
- Gregor Reid, University of Western Ontario, London, ON, Canada
- Alain van Gool, Radboud University, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
- David Hafler, Yale, New Haven, CT, USA
- John F. Cryan, University College Cork, Cork, Ireland
- André Marette, Laval University, Montreal, QC, Canada
- Charles R. Mackay, Monash University, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
- Alan L. Landay, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL, USA
Yay. All men. How wonderful. Because, you know, there are no women working on the microbiome and nutrition right? Ugg.
Seems like they are still working on getting more speakers. I will send this blog post to the organizers and see what they say. But suffice it to say I am very disappointed in them. Oh, and shockingly, the two organizers are men: Johan Garssen and Alan Landay.
These YAMMMs (Yet Another Mostly Male Meeting) really have got to be killed. People should not got to them. People should not speak at them. And the organizers should not be allowed to run other meetings unless they can explain themselves and provide evidence that they will work to not have this happen again.
UPDATE A FEW MINUTES AFTER POSTING.
I found the program committee for the meeting. Alas the gender ratio there is lame too.
- John F Cryan, University College Cork, Cork, Ireland
- Alain van Gool, Radboud University Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
- David Hafler, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA
- Charles R Mackay, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
- André Marette, Laval University, Sainte-Foy, QC, Canada
- Gregor Reid, Lawson Health Research Institute, London, ON, Canada
And a bit strangely – all of the people on the program committee are speakers. No bias there.