I went to a talk yesterday by Nancy Moran at UC Davis. Nancy is one of my science heroes. I have worked on a few projects with her and am just a big fan of her body of work on symbioses. I have written about her work her on this blog many times before including
- Holy lateral transfer batman; amazing story on fungal to aphid transfer from Nancy Moran
- Sharpshooters, dual symbioses and new ways to sequence a genome
- Why endosymbionts rule – see #PLoS Genetics paper on origin of an alternative genetic code
- Aphid-bacterial symbiosis in more detail, and in the New York Times
- You could call it symbiomics (but please do not)… but whatever name you use, this is $^@#&* so cool.
- World’s Smallest Genome of a Cellular Organism?
- Glassy winged sharpshooter symbionts